Sunday, October 23, 2011

Final Day - Dana Point to La Jolla 55 Miles, 1,700' climb

Camp Pendleton - Pannikin Coffee  - La Jolla - Mount Soledad
The final day is a short one so we roll out late, trying to get to La Jolla at 1:00 for pictures before we enter the CAF picnic at 2:00.We ride through Camp Pendleton and through Carlsbad, and Encinitas.  We rode by our Monday Night Pizza spots and down to Pannikin Coffee, where I used to meet every Friday morning for many years before I took the position at Open Doors.  Grammy, George, Vicki, Marion, Jody and Lori showed up and that was just great.  I didn't realize that this was a traditional stop for the CAF ride so we had many other riders with us.

Hannah in front of my fellow riders at Pannikin Coffee House
Grammy, Vicki, me and Lori at Pannikin
So we slowly rode through Del Mar, up the last big hill at Torrey Pines and in to a park to stage ourselves for entry into Kellogg Park. We took a group picture and then we went into the end of ride party.  Another surprise is that the Patel family was there to greet me.  I am so blessed by friends.
Crossing the finish line after 620 miles
Mira Patel, Hannah and Luke and Devin Patel 

The ride raised over $1,400,000 for Challenged Athletes
But I had said that I wanted to finish at Mount Soledad.  I wasn't really tired but nobody I rode with wanted to ride up the 3 mile, 800' it would take to get there.  But my father's military history is on a plaque at the park and my faith, my history and my training seemed to mean that there is where I should finish.  By myself, riding alone but then met by family and friends.  It seemed a little grandiose but I had talked about it and as I want up the hill I felt really strong. 

So now the ride is finished.  A great adventure.  A mixture of an accomplishment and great experience.  Will I ride again next year?  I would think about it.  I have some time to think about it.  But for now, a lazy weekend ahead, trying to overcome the usual letdown after a big event.  I'll probably register for the Carlsbad 1/2 marathon in January and then some other races till I may do the Vineman 1/2 Ironman in Napa in July.  It's Darcy and my 20th anniversary that week and that seems like a good combination to me.  Darcy is still undecided though.
Thanks for keeping up with me, praying for me, supporting me financially and just asking how I am doing.
Blessed,
Tom   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tom! I'm sure your sense of accomplishment is huge! Glad to see you conquering challenges and enjoy life to the fullest. God has blessed you and your family.
Deb