Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Innocence & Uncle "Billy-Goat"

We are often asked to "prepare" our children for the trials that will come their way. We are to teach them about "stranger danger", my children have to practice a "lock-down" at least once a year at school as if an intruder was on the campus and they are not to leave their rooms, but to hide beneath their desks. I will have to deal with "stranger danger" at some time, but for now, my job is to protect them from strangers. I will protect their innocence, protect them from any physical or mental harm. This brings me to Hannah's letter to Santa. Hannah is still "innocent". She still believes. 2007 may be the last year where they both of my children truly believe. 2008 will be a year of change for all of us in the Smith Family. I'll be getting a new job, Bailey may not make it through the whole year (though I hope she will) and maybe, just maybe, one of my children will not "believe" anymore. A layer of innocence will be shed. Please enjoy Hannah's letter. She is special. Today I was singing some of my Christmas carols, where I insert "Hannah" or "Luke" in them. I made up a verse where I spoke of my brother, who Hannah named "Billy-Goat". Billy had called Hannah - "Hannah-Kate". Well as I was singing, I mentioned Billy, and Hannah smiled. She remembered him. She loved him. The pure innocence and joy that came over her face as Billy's name was mentioned made me happy for the time Billy spent with her. Someday I will have to work harder on "preparing" her for the world. For now, I just hold her and protect her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, Darcy, Hannah and Luke. It's is I Diane Larry's wife! Your Hannah sounds just like my Courtney in every way! It must be because they are cousins! I sent your card out and got yours today! We do still do all the off roading and have a 39 ft. Diesel pusher with matching trailer. Have a few trucks around here and Ryan has his big dirt bike still. You will find out soon enough but he is going to be a father anytime now. He got married this year to his long time high school sweetheart! We all need to get together this next year! it would be a kick! Merry Christmas and Gods Blessings to you all! Diane : )