Tuesday, December 4, 2007

This is not Halloween, Luke tries out Dirt Bikes

This is not a Halloween picture. Luke's friend Derek (on left) got a new dirt bike. His father has a dirt bike and a RV so they were nice enough to ask Luke to come with them. When I confirmed with Derek's father, Norbert, that he really had offered for Luke to come and this wasn't Luke's hopeful request, Norbert said, "Maybe I should have run this by you first?" Apparently the look on my face confirmed that he should have, but it would happen eventually and the Hagens are great friends. But I was not exactly thrilled about this as this would start the whole process of Luke wanting a motorcycle, me getting one and $15-20,000 later after an RV this becomes the family weekends. Well Luke started that he wanted a motorcycle for Christmas. He even spoke to Darcy about talking directly to Santa without me so I wouldn't stop it. I thought about it. I really did. Darcy even showed me some motorcycles on eBay. I'd love to do it but I know if we had motorcycles, I'd never be riding the bicycle and I want Luke and I to have exercise that we do together. So this has gone on for about two weeks. Luke came and sat next to me downstairs last night and said, "Dad, I know the motorcycle is off the table, so if you get me the pet rabbit we've been talking about, that would be OK." I asked him why and he said that he knew I would never agree to the motorcycle. Pretty smart 8-year old boy. My son, my friend and a young man who has a wise heart - Luke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your son and his friend look like a movie extra's from Star Wars. Bless them. At least they are wearing the correct clothing. Hope they both remain safe.