Sunday, June 29, 2008

Now I'm a Try-Athlete, just a real slow one

San Diego International Triathlon

1000 meter swim, 20 K Bike ride and 10 K run
( I got passed by a 77-year old)

OK, so I didn't expect to win. I really didn't, I just wanted to be in the middle of the pack. Not unrealistic is it? Well I started in the middle of the pack in the swim, but then my goggles filled with water. I stopped, cleared them then they filled again. I stopped, tightened them and went on. They filled again. I stopped. A lifeguard on surfboard asked me what was the problem and I told her my situation. She said, "come over here (she wanted to call me a loser, I know) , rest on my surfboard and put your goggles under your swim cap." OK, that fixed it. But now, the wave of swimmers behind me had caught up. But I finished the 1000 meter swim and went on to the bike section.

I did OK on the bike section, finishing at about 18 miles an hour from down by the water, up to Cabrillo monument for two laps and then back down again. I didn't seem to pass any of the other 45-49 year old men who finished the swim earlier though.

Transition to the run - I felt pretty good and I figure I did about 9:30 minute miles. Still didn't pass any of my fellow 45-49 year old friends.

Finally, the finish line. A man passed me. On a triathlon, you get "marked" with a marker that says "S" or "I" for the two different distances, Sprint or International (the longer one I did was the International). So this man passes me and I see marked on his led I-77. A friggin' 77-year old man passed me. If I could have caught him, I would have knocked him over into the bay........

I finished 64th out of 68 men in my age category.

If I had registered for the Clydesdale (over 200 lbs.) and over 40 group, I would have been 12th out of 18. I'm only five pounds shy of a Clydesdale, hell that's 4 Bon-bons.

If I was in the 65 - 69 year old category, I still would have been 3rd out of 5.

But how many of those men had sausage sandwiches for lunch the week before in preparing for the race? Twice! But I did. Sausage - The fuel for my racing.

In this race I "completed" versus "competed".

I have another triathlon scheduled for July 19th. It is in Camp Pendleton. It's a 1500 meter swim, 40K ride and a 10K run. That's my last triathlon for the year I suppose.

If I see that old man I'll knock his wrinkly butt off the road.

The problem is I live in one of the most physically fit areas of the country. Most of the top triathletes in the nation are in this area and even the average athlete is in great shape. If I raced in Wisconsin or Canada or somewhere up north, they would be fatter, eat sausage and take their time in a race. Maybe that's my new tactic, not race faster, race slower people........

No comments: