Sunday, July 22, 2007

RAGBRAI - Day 1

Ok, the family and are in Iowa . We were in Minnesota and stayed with Darcy's cousin Gary and Sally. Luke played with their two boys, Grant and Jack and had a great time. We went on their boat and tried water Skiing and tubing. Sally's daughter Jessica took Hannah out several times on their horses and now Hannah wants to move to Minnesota .


Darcy, Hannah, Luke and her parents took me to Rock Rapids, Iowa and stayed the night in Aunt Elaine and Valere's trailer. This morning at 5:30 AM I left for Spencer , Iowa . That is where I am now after 75 miles on my bike. Tomorrow I go to Humboldt , Iowa , a 77-mile trip. Highlights so far:
Lots of corn and soybean fields.
No sign of Lance Armstrong yet. He may be trying to avoid me, I'm still friends with Cheryl Crow and he may be upset
Had a breakfast hamburger in Melvin , Iowa . They said it was the best one in town. All people in Melvin are liars. People I know who are named Melvin are suspect.
Had some Iowa corn from a group called the "Looney Lutherans. They are much more honest then the people from Melvin. The corn was great. Where else but Iowa would you get a group like that.
Heading into "downtown" Spencer right now to see the sights.
As we headed south today on the ride, the wind came from the south. Girth and Gravity plague me.
50% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, but as fast as I ride, no lightning could catch me. Small children on tricycles pass me though.
There are some pictures of the Moose in Melvin. Iowa , that may have to wait. I also was able to attend a small, quick church service, but at this time it's all a blur of haze and maize.


Try to keep everyone updated as I head towards the Mississippi .
Keep praying for me, I need it.
Two-wheeled,
Tom

No comments: