Friday, July 27, 2007

RAGBRAI - Day 6 - "Is this heaven? Yes, it's Iowa "


More trouble trying to get some sleep. We were hit with a thunderstorm (1 – 2” of rain) last night from 9:30 PM till the middle of the night at the campsite. The good news is the tent didn’t leak much and the rain stopped by 3:30 AM. I hit the road at 6:15 and grabbed a giant breakfast burrito. Another great ride, cloudy the whole way, maybe as good as day 3 and even a faster pace. I met Stephanie and Jon Thomas and they let Darcy and the kids, Al and Jerenne stay at their home. Elaine and Valere also came so we had so we had a full house. Stephanie is Elaine and Valere’s oldest grandchild. They are both amazingly nice and cordial hosts. They barbequed chicken and had dinner for us. We really imposed on them and they were so gracious and kind. I truly hope they will come out to California so we can visit with them again and try to repay them for all that they have done for us.

For desert we had Aunt Elaine’s homemade peach and rhubarb pie. Now I’ve never had rhubarb. It looks green and has a silent “h” in it. None of my favorite pies have silent letters. If everyone wasn’t looking, I would have had the peach pie. Rhubarb almost looks green, perilously close to a vegetable and I don’t like vegetables. Al has wanted Elaine’s rhubarb pie so much he forced her to make him one (with Hannah’s help). Well I had to try it. What a great taste. Creamy smooth and sort of sweet. Another thing I should have tried earlier in life. I have to really thank Elaine and Valere for their kindness, warmth, graciousness in lending us their trailer and cheerfulness in our disruption of their lives for this event. I always picture Elaine with a smile on her face.

So now we’re in Dyersville, the famous home for the baseball field in the movie, “Field of Dreams”. Al was as excited as a little kid because he is a lifelong White Sox fan and loved the movie “Field of Dreams”. Jon drove us over to the field. We were able to take pictures of us coming out the corn fields, meeting with the players, just like in the movie. Darcy, Luke Al and I also took a turn at bat because there are always people playing baseball on the field. Luke hit the ball, even though he doesn’t really like baseball. Darcy got up and ripped, truly ripped, a single past the shortstop. Now the pressure was on. I had to hit it farther than Darcy. First pitch - whiff. The second pitch I hit into the outfield so at least I was on. Then, the life-long White Sox fan, the left-handed Iowa farm boy was at bat. The fielder’s moved back and into the same “shift” they put on for Barry Bonds. A steely grin was on his face. The 10-year old pitcher was nervous. Al hit the ball. We’ll leave it at that. We’ll just say that we both walked back to the dugout after this play. We’ll mark this down on our scorecards as a “Sacrifice/double play that moved Darcy to third. Don’t see that often. He did hit it the ball though.


This was a great day for the family, but I think Al and I had the best time. He coerced his sister to make a rhubarb pie for him. He finally got to Dyersville to see the “Field of Dreams”, play catch with his grandson and take a turn at bat.

Leaving late on Saturday so that we can see Annette and her new baby, Hailey. This will give everybody time to meet then I’ll leave at 9-9:30. I’ll finish the last 56 miles off and meet Darcy and the family in Bellevue . That will end it. 477 miles across Iowa . I’ll pick my bike up and walk into the Mississippi . A picture moment to show the end of the ride.

Then on to Plymouth , Indiana to see our friends, the Barden’s.

Thanks for everyone’s time reading these. If I missed sending you a day and you want to see it, send me a note.

I can’t wait to get on my bike and head out for these last 56 miles.

Take care.

Stronger, with an appreciation of Iowa , it’s people and now, rhubarb.

Tom

No comments: