Thursday, July 26, 2007

RAGBRAI - Day 5



OK, The theme from yesterday's city, Cedar Falls, was "Living Large in Cedar Falls" hence the attached picture. In attempting to finally get a good night sleep after the "train" incident, I headed to my tent at 9:00. Unfortunately, they were having an outdoor concert about 200 yards away from my tent. Actually a pretty good band called the "Nadas". Which means:

NADA lot of sleep.
NADA lot of reading.
NADA chance of leaving early.

Hit the road by 6:30 AM and had another great ride. Physically, I feel great and it was only 63 miles today with just rolling hills. Almost as fast as day 2, but who's keeping score (besides me). The key was ice on the foot and the use of "Chamois Butter". Basically this is a Vaseline type product that you put on the inside of the bike short - chamois everyday. Without being too graphic, at 5:00 in the morning, it's like sitting on a cold jelly sandwich. Enough said. But the stuff is great through 360 miles of biking. That may have been too graphic.

Great cities were passed through today but my favorite is the city of Denver, Iowa. The local art teacher set up the following picture so I had to attach it also.

Independence, Iowa is where I am now. Neat small town with a river running through it. I had a great meal at the Catholic Church of Beef and Noodles, Lemonade, chocolate cake and strawberries for $7.00. Can't beat that. The family will be traveling to Dyersville tomorrow to meet me. As you remember, that is where "Field of Dreams" was filmed. Darcy, the kids and Darcy's parents will travel to Bellevue, Iowa to see me finish on Saturday. I will finish.

50% chance of rain tonight and possible rain showers until 9:00 AM. If that is the case I might sleep in and wait it out. "Nada" problem pedaling a bike in the rain, stopping is an issue. I'll check the weather again tonight.

Yesterday's e-mail was a little long so I'll leave you with the hope of a dry morning, a good nights sleep and safe travels for all. I also need to check on my laundry that is hanging off my tent to dry. I look like the "poor white trash" in a tent city. Maybe a photo is in order for next time.

I'm 75% of the way as of today. The last two days are about 60 miles each so they seems pretty easy ..........and I can't believe I just said that.

Take care and thanks for the kind comments.

3/4 of a RAGBAI Man,
Tom

Trivia - average age in RAGBRAI - 43 years old. 45 countries are represented. There are some very large men and women who do this race and I can't imagine how.

The big riders pass me also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ! Its Maks from Ukraine !!!
Great Photo !!!