Saturday, July 28, 2007



Last day. Final 56 miles. Met Annette and her baby Hailey this morning. Annette is Darcy’s cousin and the last time we saw her was 15 years ago at our wedding. Jon and Stephanie made us a great breakfast before I left. I finally hit the road at 10:00. It was much hotter than when starting @ 6:00 AM and the winds came up some from the east and northeast.

I felt a mixture of sadness, excitement and joy as I left Dyersville. Sadness because we met some great people and had a great time there and I could have stayed longer. The first person I met as I crossed the sign for Dyersville and asked for directions said, “Stay right there, I’ll make you a Bloody Mary and we’ll get you where you need to be”. Thank you to the Sherman family. Excitement, because I wanted to complete this experience, and joy being out there pedaling on open roads with music in my ear. Before I even left Dyersville, there were two small children giving out free doughnuts and water. They were so nice I had to stop.

Another thing about starting late the last day, the vendors are closing up as you leave. I biked by and one yelled out, “free beer or coffee!” Great way to start the day. No, I didn’t stop.

It is a different ride seeing the people who started late and were having trouble finishing the race. The “sag” wagon was always near. That is the van with a trailer attached for those riders who have mechanical problems that can’t be fixed or who are just too tired, or hurt, to finish. Kind of a vulture, in my mind. Supportive, but a vulture. Talked to one woman who had given up and I felt pretty bad for her, I didn’t see if she was a “daily” rider or had started in Rock Rapids.

I also met Rachelle Fehring; she was about 16 years old and had started the ride in Rock Rapids. She rode with her sister, mother and her aunt and they wore the same outfits. As I was coming up a long hill, they were looking at the bike and said that they would have to call the “sag” wagon and end her ride. If you could have seen the look on her face it would have broke your heart. Her problem wasn’t that bad, her chain came off the inner crank set and since she was going up a hill she wrapped it around itself twice pretty tightly It only took maybe 10 minutes to get it unwrapped and 10 minutes to get the grease off my hands. Not hard to do, but her family was thrilled and took pictures with me. In reality, it was only common courtesy, but they made me feel like a hero. I really want to thank them for making me feel so good about doing so little.

The temperature got pretty hot and I started getting rolling hills but as I looked at the mileage it wasn’t that far to Bellevue . I knew that the elevation chart showed a big drop down the city, and then to the Mississippi . As I started down this hill it felt great to not only know I was getting close but also the speed felt good. It was a steep hill that was probably ½ - ¾ mile long at the steepest part. I was going as fast as I could and as my speed passed 30 miles an hour I thought, “Wouldn’t it be stupid to get this close and wipe out because I was going too fast and hit a rock or a crack.” Of course the wise thing to do was hit the brakes. No reason to be stupid. Speed is fun but I am almost 46 years old.

I got up to 45.9 miles and hour and was almost able to coast into town. Safety isn’t everything and I passed a ton of people.

The family was there to take a few pictures in town and see me finish. What a great feeling.

But I wasn’t finished. I had to go to the Mississippi and put my bike in. There was a line of people, but Darcy, Luke, Hannah, Jerenne and Al walked down with me. They took a few pictures of me and my mechanical friend for the last 477 miles and I included one.

If you want to experience the inherent good nature of people in Iowa – do RAGBRAI.
If you want a “rite of passage” with a young adult or just want to spend time with some friends – Spend a week doing RAGBRAI with them.
If you like riding on open roads, fairly flat and devoid of almost all traffic – RAGBRAI.
If you want to see beautiful landscape, the simply gorgeous creations of a loving Creator – ride RAGBRAI.

Some low points:
Looking into my water bottle the last day and seeing a small worm rolling around. Hopefully his friends weren’t my protein intake the day before.
The red Dodge pickup truck with a trailer that ran me off the road in Cascade, Iowa on the last day. The California Tom would have rode up to him to discuss “common courtesy” and the possible physical coercion to have him admit the error of his ways. Ask my training partner in California , Sherry. She’ll tell you. But I didn’t. I was in Iowa . He was the only bad person I met.
And to think, I wanted to quit on day 2 because the wind and the hills were too hard. I thought, really seriously, about stopping, buying a motorcycle and finishing the race that way. It sounded better than just quitting and it would make a better story. My foot hurt and so did my saddle. The apostle Paul faced hardship ever since he accepted Jesus as Lord. He wrote in Philippians, chapter 4, verse 14, “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.” I didn’t think that. I tried to gut it out. I finished that day but I didn’t exactly show my best character. But I did finish. And I went on.

Thanks to all that helped who I’ve mentioned. Thanks to those who loaned me equipment, encouraged me, trained with me and who prayed for me. I thought, of those that prayed for me, that someone, anyone, would have said that if I had prayed for wisdom before this ride, I wouldn’t have spent almost 500 miles in a week, on my bike. Camping. Smith’s don’t camp. We “hotel”.

And here’s to my personal support crew. They drove me to the start, brought a trailer for me to sleep in three nights in Rock Rapids, Hampton and Dyersville, then drove to the end to be with me when I finished at the Mississippi in Bellevue.

Hannah - who cried when she knew I was camping out in the rain
Luke - who waited patiently for his dad.
Darcy - who had the kids all week and spent time in an RV and had to follow me across the state. She supports all these things I try
Jerenne was happy and supportive as we dragged her across the state.
And Al, who took my good-natured ribbing and coordinated the support activities.

Thanks again for all of your comments. No, I do not know if I’d do this again. It took a lot of sacrifice by those around me.

But if I had a fast tandem……and a really nice RV……….and I was thinner… and stronger… and someone really needed me to go with them………maybe.

With Iowa firmly in my heart.
Take care,
Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I know by all the pictures and the wonderful stories you have written you truly had a great experience and the people that traveled with you did also.