Monday, July 23, 2007

RAGBRAI - Day 2

OK, Day 2 is done.

Head winds for the first 37 miles, but at least it was semi-cloudy. After that the sun came up and we headed south west, so the wind wasn't as bad. My new strategy is to leave earlier, ( I was riding at 5:45 AM today) stop at every town, get off the bike, stretch, buy some unhealthy food then go on. Maybe a nap.

Last night started reading at 9:00. Tried to sleep but at 10:00, the city of Spencer put on a great fireworks show. 4:30 AM was way too early to wake up after that.

Today was 77 miles which took me about 2 hours longer than yesterday. I stopped and ate with the famous "Mr. Pork Chop" http://www.mrporkchop.com/ . Nothing better than eating pork chops in the middle of a bike ride from a man who drives a pink bus decorated like a pig. He's been serving RAGBRAI for 26 years.

Took a 20-minute nap under a tree in the city of Rolfe , Iowa .

A Smoothie from a roadside vendor, Oatmeal and sugar cookies from some girls scouts, some bananas and apples and that is my culinary update for the day.

Got into Homboldt and headed straight to the Aquatics center for a dip in the pool. Great pool with a water slide.

My new phone charger does not work at all so I'll only be able to get messages later in the day. Iowa Telecom provides a trailer with free internet and free long distance phone calls.

Darcy and the kids, Elaine and Valere, Roger and Sally and I'm not sure who else are meeting me tomorrow in Hampton, Iowa, population 4,221. They said that there were an additional 40,000 people that travel daily with RAGBRAI, that includes 10,000 riders. Actually I'm looking forward to knocking off the final day of over 70 miles. After that the daily mileage start getting lower.

Try to keep everyone updated as I head towards the Mississippi .
Keep praying for me, I need it.
Two-wheeled, Sore-left footed, saddle sore and hungry
Tom

No comments: